11 imagesCaerlaverock Castle is one of Scotland's great medieval fortresses. For 400 years it stood on the very edge of the kingdom. To the south, across the Solway Firth, lay England. For most of its history, Caerlaverock played an important role in the defence of the realm. Long before the castle was built, the Romans built a fort on the summit of Ward Law Hill, overlooking the castle from the north. By about 950, the British lords of 'Karlauerock' (the name may mean 'fort of the skylark') had built a fort on the site. Around 1220, Alexander II of Scotland, needing trusted men to secure the Scottish West March, granted the estate to his chamberlain, Sir John de Maccuswell (Maxwell). Sir John built the 'old' castle. Within 50 years, his nephew, Sir Herbert, had moved to a new castle just 200m away to the north. There the Maxwell lords remained for the next 400 years.
7 imagesA portfolio of creative, artistic and diverse images of a Georgian Cumbrian farmhouse in the heart of the Lake District National Park. Landscapes and interior photographs are included in this set.